Quark Expeditions brings extensive experience guiding travelers to the most remote places on our planet. We've put together the best gear in the industry to prepare our fellow travelers for their trip. The Polar Boutique offers a one-stop-shop solution for professional polar gear delivered right to your home.
Whether you're coming from a chilly, mild or tropical climate you'll want to come as prepared as possible for your voyage. The Arctic is well-known for its long, cold winters and short, mild summers. Average temperatures in June range from -5°C (23°F) to +5°C (41°F) and -5°C (23°F) to +10°C (50°F) in July. These average temperatures can drop further when strong winds or rain are present. This makes it incredibly important to arrive with gear that keeps you dry, warm and comfortable.
Baselayers will be worn above your regular underwear and are intended to wick moisture and regulate your body temperature. Baselayers should fit next to your skin with a slim fit. Bring two or more sets to ensure you always have a clean and dry pair handy.
- Slim fit to be worn next to skin
- Merino wool or synthetic materials (no cotton)
- 2 or more sets
Midlayers are worn for an added layer of insulation. Wear your midlayers above your baselayers, and don't forget to try them on under your outer shell or jacket to ensure the fit is comfortable.
- Standard fit with low bulk
- Fleece or other synthetic materials (no cotton)
- 2 or more sets
Waterproof pants are not only incredibly important for your trip, but they are also mandatory for Zodiac landings. Your waterproof pants should be a standard fit, ensuring there's adequate room for your baselayers and midlayers. Wear over your Muck Boots (provided with your booking) to prevent water or snow from getting under and inside your garments.
- Standard fit with adequate room for layers
- Lightweight and breathable for freedom of movement
- Wide openings at the leg to fit over your Muck Boots
We recommend packing two pairs of layered gloves to keep your hands warm and dry at all times. Gloves or mittens should be waterproof and insulated to wear ashore and while riding zodiacs. For added versatility, consider a removable liner with conduction sensors for using your smart devices or camera. Remember to remove the glove liner, insert your hands, and reinsert into the glove for a comfortable fit.
- 2 pairs of gloves or mittens
- Fully waterproof to keep your hands dry
- Liner for added insulation and versatility
A quality waterproof bag is highly recommended for carrying your belongings during adventure options, activities and Zodiac cruising. A 20-liter bag will fit basic camera equipment, sunscreen, hats, and a scarf. This can also be used as a carry-on for your flight!
- 1 waterproof bag or dry sack
- Fully waterproof with taped seams
- Lightweight and compressible
Other Recommended Items
- 3-4 pairs of wool or synthetic socks
- Scarf or face protection
- A warm hat that covers your ears
- Sunscreen with UV protection
- Swimsuit (for the Polar Plunge!)
- Camera rain sleeve
- Camera with extra batteries and memory
- Earplugs and eye masks
- Voltage adapter
What is Provided?
A Quark Expeditions Parka will be provided as part of your booking and Muck boots are available for passengers to borrow during landings. Our Polar Boutique onboard is also fully stocked with gear, gifts, souvenirs, and electronics.
Please reach out to email@example.com and we'd be happy to help!